The Machinist prepares numerical controlled programs for fabricating parts on CNC mills and lathes. Under the direction of the Operations Manager, the Machinist will perform operation of CNC machines to ensure end product meets tolerance levels and drawing specifications. The incumbent will operate the manual lathe to cut new connections and will be responsible for providing machining services of various repairs to oilfield connections.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Fabricate and modify tools and equipment.
- Operate metalworking machine tools, such as lathe, milling machine, shaper, or grinder to machine parts to machine parts specifications.
- Calculate and set controls to regulate machining/or enter commands to retrieve, input or edit computerized machine control specifications.
- Recut and repair A.P.I. connections in accordance with the A.P.I. and DS-1 specs and guidelines.
- Cut and shape sheet metal. Heat and bend metal to specified shape.
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain machines, tools and equipment to remove grease, rust, stains, and foreign matter.
- Designs and builds basic fixtures and tooling as required for setups.
- Checks pipe and tools for markings to repair.
- Loads tools and pipe in and out of machines.
- Operate the manual lathe to cut new or repair damaged connection ends.
- Perform tungsten carbide welding, redress stabilizers and other related oilfield tools/equipment as per company quality procedures.
- Weld metal components together to fabricate or repair products according to layouts, blueprints or work orders, using brazing and a variety of arc and gas welding equipment.
- Weld metal parts together, using both gas welding and brazing and any combination of arc welding processes.
- Read and interpret blueprints and sketches.
- Read, understand, and follow job order specifications, engineering drawings, work orders, or verbal instructions.
- Complete preventative maintenance.
- Troubleshoot malfunctions and perform repairs as needed. Resolve assembly and production issues.
- May be required to operate fabricating machines and assist fabricator when needed.
- Load and unload trucks and prep outgoing jobs.
- Operate forklifts, hoists, hand power tools, lathe, slings, grinders, cutting torch, and other hand tools related to the jobs needs.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to Safety and the Environment.
- Perform all duties so as to meet the responsibilities and standards set forth in safety and employee handbooks.
- Attends required safety meetings and training programs.
- Abide by all Company policies and procedures at all times.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
This job operates in a machine shop environment. This position may be exposed to marked changes in temperature, exposure to dust, welding smoke, moving objects and very loud machinery.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will stand for extended periods and will walk and sit occasionally. The employee will be required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear. The employee will frequently lift or move heavy items and must be able to lift or move up to 25 pounds, may occasionally be able to lift or move up to 50 pounds and will rarely lift or move more than 50 pounds. This position will operate and/or use welding equipment, hard banding unit, forklift, overhead crane, lath and grinders on a regular basis. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception and have the ability to adjust focus. This position requires the ability to clearly communicate verbally with others. Must be able to drive a vehicle.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:00am -5:00pm. This position may require extended hours including evenings and weekends. The incumbent will be expected to be on call for 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. This position may require extended hours including evenings and weekends.
On occasion, some travel to rig location may be required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally with all levels of personnel.
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility. Demonstrate the highest level of ethical behavior.
- Must enjoy working with a team and on an individual basis.
- Must possess strong work-ethic and be self-motivated. Plan, organize and prioritize work.
- Must possess basic mathematical skills and have the ability to read and interpret various documents.
- Must be able to use the utmost discretion in all presentations/correspondence and communication.
- Solid oil and gas industry work experience and product knowledge.
- Familiarity with a variety of oil and gas industry concepts, practices and procedures.
- Familiar with a CNC mills and lathes concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to understand welding symbols and diagrams, read blueprints, and/or other printed instructional material in the welding, fabricating of products or parts.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with welding equipment.
- Consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Remain flexible in order to adapt to frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Study and apply new information, take initiative.
- Excellent time-management, problem prevention and problem solving skills.
- Work accurately with close attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to facilitate interaction with the workforce.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgement and to react with discretion under varying conditions.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Previous Machinist experience required.
- Oilfield industry experience desirable.
Employment is contingent upon successfully passing an employee reference check, criminal background check, physical, and drug screen. A valid Class C driver’s license is required. This position will also require H2S and Safe Land certification. Upon hire, incumbent will be required to obtain certification by Hard Banding Wire Distributers.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.