The Senior Controls and Automation Engineer will be responsible for the conception, design, development, and maintenance of drilling rig control system(s) software and hardware. The preferred candidate should have a good knowledge of AC drives, drilling rig equipment, and control system software. They will also be responsible for sustaining current rig software applications and fixing issues that are reported with the systems.
The successful candidate will: set high standards of performance for themselves and others; be professional in written, verbal and personal actions in any situation; seek new knowledge and experiences; have an analytical mindset that can utilize factual data to develop creative and business-oriented solutions; be self-aware and adjust accordingly to different environments and audiences.
- Responsible for developing control algorithms, system architecture and compiling software for PLC/PAC/SBC based systems, HMI design/implementation, data logging, and communication interfaces related to the drilling industry.
- Be capable of designing, developing and applying control system theory to compile software code for new and existing systems that is tuned for optimal response.
- Provide accurate system diagrams, loop diagrams, block diagrams, and network diagrams for new or existing software systems.
- Generate design documentation, drawings, operation manuals and related material for systems code and hardware.
- Perform as lead engineer on the solution developed and must be able to understand and translate the functional requirements into a system architecture and develop the best solution for large scale implementation.
- Generate work tasks, organize the ordering and delivery of equipment and materials, and oversee the efficient installation and commissioning of software and equipment.
- Work directly with third party contractors, Operations, Technical Services, and HSE management and rig crews to assist with the execution of a wide variety of company goals including, but not limited to, drilling system controls, R&D projects, etc.
- Provide technical support to field personnel as required to assist with troubleshooting PLC and control system issues.
- Develop and maintain a formal process for software change control to ensure that changes are introduced in a controlled and coordinated manner. This process will also include documenting revision management processes and controls.